We’ve sort through the incredible, the cherished and the must-visit places and things to do while traveling in India – and created one ultimate travel bucket list.
1. Attend a Vipassana meditation course. It’s a great experience (check out www.dhamma.org)
2. Take the forest route while trekking up to Kheerganga in Himachal Pradesh.
3. Take a look at animals in their natural habitat and take safari rides in national parks of India.
4. Go to the city of lakes, Udaipur and soak in the beauty of hills and water. Eat at Millets of Mewar.
5. Sit next to the sacred river Ganges in Rishikesh.
6. Explore the unexplored dams and hills of Dungarpur, Rajasthan.
7. Have a glimpse of hundreds of fireflies and scorpions at The Mad-man’s Farm, Madhya Pradesh. You can also go swim in the Narmada river flowing nearby.
8. Visit to the exotic temples of Khajuraho.
9. Attend a ‘Moved by Love’ retreat in Ahmedabad.
10. Sleep on the sand dunes of Jaisalmer.
11. Watch elephants taking bath in Sakrebyle elephant camp in Shi-moga, Karnataka.
12. Eat the Mylari dosa in Mysore at Vinayaka Mylari.
13. See the magnificent ruins of Hampi, Karnataka.
14. Cycle around in Uddhar village of Atmatrupti farm in Maharashtra.
15. Go to Varkala beach in Kerala and try surfing.
16. Get a hug from the famous ‘hugging saint’ Mata Amritanan-damayi. She spends her life hugging strangers and helping them.
17. Visit the vineyards of Nasik, Maharashtra.
18. Travel to the ghost town of Bhangarh, Rajasthan.
19. Eat to your hearts content at 56 different food stalls in Indore, Madhya Pradesh – Chappan (56)
20. Visit Auroville in Southern India and try your hand on the land.
21. Play holi in Pushkar, Rajasthan.
22. Go to the villages in India – there are many unexplored amazing locations worth seeing. Check out Prabalmachi camping.
23. Trek through Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh..
24. Spend time in Sikkim! Everything here is worth seeing from flowers to the snow clad peaks.
25. Have lunch at the Golden Temple in Amritsar. Serve and be served.
26. Spend time understanding the tribes in India.
27. Go to Kanyakumari and look out at the most southern tip of India where 3 seas meet. A true holy place!
28. Take a look at the blue city of Jodhpur from the top of Mehrangarh Fort.
29. Ride a yak in Himalayas.
30. Go sit by the ghats of Varanasi.